Here at ACET we prepare students for a variety of English Exams – KET, PET, FCE, CAE, CPE, IELTS, TOEIC, TOEFL etc. so to help all our students studying for their exams we have asked some of the academic team for their top exam tips!
- Make sure you fully understand what the course and the exam involves.
- Be aware of your timing and always try to improve your time management.
- Don’t get discouraged if you are having difficulties – speak to your teacher and your classmates for extra support. Be patient with yourself.
- Listen to your teacher, respond to the feedback you get and be willing to make changes to your learning style, if necessary.
- Make the most of every speaking opportunity in and out of class.
- Keep a record of your common/regular errors. Review them regularly.
- Don’t just leave new vocabulary in your notebook – take these words out – use them in conversation and writing tasks.
- Tune in when you are listening – who is talking to whom? What are they talking about? Listen to the radio at home or while you are walking.
- Do at least one English activity a day – watch a film, read a magazine, a newspaper or a short story. Have a chat in English and enjoy it.
- Practise often, but not for too long. Do one activity at a time.
- Invest in a good English-English dictionary or app and use it to help build your vocabulary range and control.
- Try to think in English – don’t give yourself time to translate – just go for it!!
- Make friends with some native speakers – they may be difficult to understand at first, but you will soon get used to it and you will make great progress.
- Do practice papers regularly in order to check your ability as well as your time management.